miércoles, 3 de diciembre de 2014

E-Learning and Digital Cultures, the University of Edinburgh, Coursera


Final Assignment



E-learning and Digital Cultures - Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires

As with many things in life, taking the middle way as regards the use of technology in education poses a new challenge to the practicing teacher.  I meet the pro-technology and the moderates online and the naysayers offline.  At this point I have stopped being an advocate to just relax and enjoy my ride, which is precisely what I have been doing since I started mingling with likeminded educators in all the online opportunities out there for learning with others.
As far as I am concerned the interactions that occur in the various networks I have online have helped me in several ways to get outside the narrow boundaries of my classroom.  I have learned how to personalise my materials to suit my students´needs, I have appreciated the value of reflection and learned how to make it available online by means of online platforms.  I browse new material and methodologies on a regular basis.  I have learned not to be afraid about asking questions and try out new things.  
At the same time I have often wondered where my colleagues are and wondering why they are not here with me enjoying themselves.  As my husband says "They´re probably busy working, Maria!"  This led me to ask myself another question: Why isn´t it a national educational priority to connect teachers and classes around the globe?  Maybe I am carried away by my enthusiasm, I teach English and I find that all the contents in the textbook can easily become adapted to be learned with others. In fact adding a global perspective would give a relevant purpose to the idea of learning a foreign language.
Technology will certainly not solve all educational issues, but we can´t teach pretending we don´t know about the possibilities afforded by it. Today more than ever we crave for human contact, for acceptance.  Let´s take the chance today to bond, to share and to learn by teaching. Otherwise we run the risk to live how Robbie did, isotated, and when the time comes for our batteries to die out, we will do just that: wait patiently for our teaching years to finish.


1 comentario: